For Grades: K - 6
Step 1 - Introduction
Build a model finger or whole hand using cardboard, straws, and string!
Step 2 - Learn More
Step 3 - Your Project
Gather your materials!
- Thin cardboard (like a cereal box)
- Paper clips
Trace hand on cardboard and cut out.
Fold joints into in each finger.
Tape or glue small sections of straw onto each finger section between the folds.
Run a piece of string or yarn through the straw sections and tie at the top
To help your finger pop back up, tape a rubber band to the back side of the finger.
Step 4 - Share
Share with someone you love!
Share with someone you love! Today’s recommendation is to call a grandparent (or older family member) that doesn’t live at your house, and tell them about your project!
- Possible things to talk about:
- What did you learn?
- What did you build?
- What problems did you run into?
- How did you solve them?
Step 5 - Go Deeper
For Grades K-6
Learn more and try new things!
- Can you build another hand out of a different material?
- What if you used other tube material like hollow pasta?
- What if you made a giant hand!