Grades: This class is best suited for entering 1st-5th graders. (Different age groups have modified curriculum.)
Teacher: Ms. Dysko (1st, 3rd grade teacher/space nerd)
Ask your nerd: Have you ever wondered what it’s actually like in outer space? Are you super curious about our solar system, planets and Mars Rovers? If your answer to either of these questions is “Yes!” then you are the perfect nerd for this class!
Online Class Format
- Your nerd will be participating in a virtual classroom for the 50-minute teacher led portion of the class using Zoom. Nerds will share their clever ideas and projects with 4-7 other students and celebrate their successes together!
- They will then work independently for 1 additional hour building and testing their projects.
- By enrolling in this class they will also unlock the day-by-day course materials below which will supplement their learning outside of the live Zoom session.
What nerds learn:
In Space Camp, we’ll learn about the planets in our solar system and how amazingly far apart they are. We’ll learn about gravity and how it affects everything on Earth, and if it works in space too! We’ll also venture to Mars and discover the planet through the rovers that have been exploring there for years.
We’ll learn by creating models of the size and scale of our solar system, so we can better understand how immense it is. We’ll talk about asteroids, comets and meteors, and how they are each unique and different. We’ll explore Mars and discuss all the amazing things we know and are continuing to find out about the planet–and the Perseverance Rover traveling to Mars in 2020!
Over the 5 days of this class nerds will build unique projects like:
- Solar System Distance Models
- Earth, Moon and Mars Size Models
- Mars Rovers
This is a good fit for…
Successful nerds are imaginative learners who enjoy discovering new things about space and our solar system. Nerds will share their clever ideas and projects during the week, and make new friends who have similar “out of this world” interests!
**Pro Tip: Gather 4-6 of your nerd’s friends and we’ll set up a private class for your group of nerds!!! Class size min-max is 5-8 including your nerd. Contact us at [email protected]