Behavior Expectations for Summer Classes:
Our behavior standards are high, but in no way unreasonable. We are teachers and we know kids come with all kinds of personalities. Kids are kids. We love them and we are patient. That being said, we want EVERYONE to have an enjoyable class experience, so if one student is affecting the ability of the teacher to teach or the other students to learn, this is probably not the best environment for that student.
We request that parents are proactive. Help us set your nerd up for success by letting us know about behavior struggles in advance via the registration form and/or by contacting us directly.
Behavior Management Protocol:
- Friendly reminders and redirection, of course! We will do everything we can to support all nerds!
- If the student’s behavior isn’t corrected or they are causing a problem for the class, they may be moved to our office to cool down.
- The teacher or director will talk with the parent at pick up or on the phone and together we will make a plan to move forward.
- If the behavior is not corrected the next day, the student may be removed from the rest of the class.
- Disrespect or unsafe behaviors are cause for immediate removal from class.
Students enrolled in Nerding Classes must be able to be successful in a classroom setting. They will be expected to listen and participate appropriately and respectfully during lessons and instruction. They will be expected to work on projects both independently and with groups in a safe, kind, and respectful manner.
If a nerd is disrupting the class, creating an unsafe condition, or displays a disrespectful demeanor to teachers or peers, the nerd may be suspended or removed from class. Refunds are not issued for suspension or removal due to behavior.
Summer Class Withdrawals and Refunds:
• Full refunds minus $10 per class are issued if withdrawn more than 2 weeks before class starts.
• No refunds will be issued within 2 weeks of start date.
• In the event a class is cancelled due to low enrollment, full refunds are issued.
• If a student is suspended or expelled from any program no refund is issued.
Kyrene After School Behavior Guidelines:
No individual (adult or child) will knowingly be allowed to jeopardize the health, safety, learning, or working environment of others. A child may be withdrawn from a program if a staff member determines that a child cannot benefit from the program. All instances are situational and are documented according to behavior guidelines. A member of Nerding or the Community Education Services team will include parents in situations involving behavior concerns and progressive consequences.
Behavioral guidelines are established to maintain the physical and emotional well-being of each child and to teach self-discipline, judgment, and manners. Positive behavior management techniques are used to guide behavior. Parents and staff are viewed as partners in guiding each child’s development and will work collaboratively to establish consistency. Appropriate behavior is essential in learning and growing, and is based upon mutual respect for the rights and property of others. Children are expected to display responsible behavior and to take responsibility for their actions.
A child’s choice may result in positive or negative consequences such as a reward, redirection, or loss of a privilege. For more severe or continuous incidents, one or more of the following may result: a behavioral report, conference with a parent/guardian to create a Positive Behavioral Support Plan, suspension, or removal from the program. Refunds or credits are not issued if a child is suspended from a Nerding or Community Education Services Program or from their school.
Administrative Withdrawals are defined as a member of the Community Education Services or Nerding team removing a child from a program or class for the duration of the school year and summer. Community Education Services and Nerding reserves the right to withdraw children from any program when its Director or designee determines, in his/her sole discretion, that it would be in the best interest of the District, Nerding class, and/or the child. The parent will be informed of the determination to withdraw. There is no appeal process for Administrative Withdrawals. Refunds are not issued if a child is administratively withdrawn from Nerding or a Community Education Services program.
After School Withdrawals and Refunds:
• Full refunds for Enrichment classes (Nerding) are issued six days prior to the start of a class or camp.
• Refunds are not issued less six days prior to the first day of an Enrichment class (Nerding).
• If a student is suspended or expelled from any program or school, no refund is issued.